Saturday, January 22, 2011

Photo-A-Week: Macro

I thought that this week's theme would present a challenge to me considering I sold my macro lens a few months back to upgrade one of my camera bodies, but lucky for me my 14-54mm has a minimum focusing distance of 22cm. Which for all intents and purposes achieved macro by most definitions.

There are a lot of definitions of macro photography and depending on who you ask or what Google result you click on you're either achieving it or you have to go buy more gear. For me I just like to think that macro means really close. I lean towards a definition that appeals to me. Probably the thing I like most about macro photography is when it allows me to see something I can't with my naked eye.

One definition I read said that if in a 4x6 printed frame the picture is life size then that is macro photography. I can think of a lot of instances where I would just see it as a great picture of a frog. It wouldn't register with me as macro photography. Now show me a picture of a frogs foot up close and personal, then we're talking.

Keep in mind these are my opinions not the law on macro photography. Honestly if you read my introduction statement you could deduce that I am so enthralled by macro photography that I sold my only macro lens {sarcasm}

Since you probably clicked the post to see a picture and not here me ramble on about my knowledge, or lack there of, on macro photography. Here you go. Also, since I got some great responses back on the two photos from the last post, there's a bonus one here too.

Snow from the most recent weather that came through St Louis.

Photo-A-Week: Macro

Photo-A-Week: Macro

No comments:

Post a Comment