Sunday, February 13, 2011

Photo-A-Week: Body Parts

This week's theme is really a broad topic. I struggled with this one because I wasn't sure what to write about, more less what picture to take. It seemed weird to write about the body part I was taking pictures of, that seemed a bit too intimate. I mean who wants to read me go on and on about someone's fingers? After some thinking I decided it would might be helpful for me to talk about how important body parts can be in photography, especially in photojournalism.

Photojournalism attempts to tell a story in pictures. Pictures of details tell a lot about a story and when wanting to tell a story about people, body parts add detail that brings that story to life. I greatly enjoy detail photography. You'll usually find me at a wedding hovering over hands taking pictures of jewelery or subtle touches between the bride and groom. At the baby portrait session I'm the one taking pictures of feet and little hands. I am often drawn to the detail shots of most of my favorite photographers, especially when they are creative.

Mostly what I wanted to do this week is challenge any photographers that read this blog is to take some detail pictures, especially body parts. Get some shots of your children's hands playing with Play-doh, or take some shots of the years of experience that are written in your grandmother's hands.  Look for the details and you just might find there's more to the story.

And to prove I took a body parts picture this week here's lookin at you.

Photo-A-Week-Body-Parts

No comments:

Post a Comment